1. Frankincense: Promotes cellular vitality, reduces puffiness and water retention. Use for occasional head and neck tension and respiratory support.
Which oils can't we live without on such a trip? Frankly speaking, I can never be without Frankincense. It is my absolute favorite oil and I use it multiple times a day for overall health and wellbeing. When in doubt, use Frank. Yes, we are on a first name basis.
2. Fennel: Motion sickness? Upset stomach? Fennel yourself! Rub it directly on your belly, on the bottoms of your feet or even put a tiny drop in water (as long as you are using extremely high quality, pure essential oil).
When traveling, it can be difficult to eat clean healthy food, particularly in places like airports. My husband and I use a wonderful digestive blend of ginger, fennel, peppermint, tarragon in addition to other oils for occasional upsets from airport dining or just overdoing it on a vacation meal. (Too much key lime pie!) I never leave home with out my digestive oils.
3. Peppermint: This oil is one of the most versatile in my opinion. Use it to soothe digestive upsets, open your respiratory system, and ward of bugs!
Occasionally the pressure from the plane, especially during take offs and landings, can really mess with your head, literally. If you have sensitive ears or are congested because of seasonal or environmental threats, plane rides can be quite painful. I carry oils for the respiratory system such as Laurel Leaf, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, and Melaleuca for this reason! These oils combined in a respiratory blend helps to clear clogged airways due to the flight or seasonal discomforts and provides tremendous relief when you feel like your head is about to explode.
4. Lemon: Apply a drop to palms and rub together as an instant travel hand sanitizer. Ward off mosquitoes and even put a drop in your water for a refreshing drink that not only boosts your immune system, it also tastes great! (Note: When taking oils internally make sure that they are of the very highest quality.)
For a trip to Sarasota, I always need a repellant blend with lemon, eucalyptus, citronella and other oils that helps us avoid those tiny pesky flying little guys that bite like crazy! Lemon essential oil also doubles as a travel hand sanitizer in a pinch because it is naturally cleansing and purifying.
5. Lavender: Use this oil to help reduce traveling stress and assist in restful sleep.
Finally, when traveling, Lavender essential oil is an absolute necessity. Whether you are stressed from the journey, or having difficulties sleeping in a strange new place, lavender is an excellent choice to help reduce stress and encourage rest. Simply take a deep inhale from the bottle or apply lavender topically to your pulse points or the bottoms of your feet. You can even put a drop of lavender on your pillow for a calm and fragrant nights sleep.
Of course, we also pack many other products that contain essential oils such as shampoo and toothpaste. More often that not, they go in the checked luggage!
Well, that is just the tip of the iceberg but I will share more about the oils we travel with and how we use them in months to come!
For now, stay calm and travel on!